Case Taking

Acute Disease

For the determination of a homeopathic remedy, the physician or therapist first needs to know the case history. It is then important to examine the patient and make a conventional medical diagnosis. Next the patients have to report their polar symptoms with the help of the checklist corresponding to their actual disease.
Polar symptoms are those with an opposite pole, such as thirst / thirstlessness, cold worse / cold better, desire for fresh air / dislike of fresh air. Most polar symptoms are modalities which, according to Organon § 133, are what is peculiar and characteristic to the disease. For repertorisation we primarily use only polar symptoms. If this does not yield a best-fitting remedy, we might decide to include other characteristic symptoms in the repertorisation. 

Checklists for Acute Disease

Figure 2: H1N1 Influenza Epidemic 2011: Healing Time with Homeopathic Treatment (n=52 patients) Figure 2 shows the effect of homeopathic treatment of H1N1 influenza during the epidemic of 2011 as an example of the results that can be achieved in acute disease. Determination of individual remedies with polarity analysis: the first remedy (200 C) cures 62% of the patients. The remaining 38% receive a second remedy. 25% are cured by this second remedy. 13% do not react to homeopathic treatment.

Figure 2: H1N1 Influenza Epidemic 2011: Healing Time with Homeopathic Treatment (n=52 patients)
Figure 2 shows the effect of homeopathic treatment of H1N1 influenza during the epidemic of 2011 as an example of the results that can be achieved in acute disease. Determination of individual remedies with polarity analysis: the first remedy (200 C) cures 62% of the patients. The remaining 38% receive a second remedy. 25% are cured by this second remedy. 13% do not react to homeopathic treatment.


Chronic Disease

In chronic disease the individual homeopathic remedy is preferably determined in two consultations: 

1. During the first consultation, the physician or therapist takes the case in a way roughly equivalent to conventional medical practice, examining the patient and making a diagnosis. Then the parents or the patient receive the questionnaire corresponding to the main problem and another one for additional complaints.  The two questionnaires must be prepared at home so that the patient can accurately provide us with well-observed symptoms. 

2. At the second consultation at least one week later, the patient's remedy is determined by analysing the questionnaires in the presence of the patient. As in acute disease, repertorisation is primarily done with polar symptoms or modalities (Organon § 133). Other characteristic symptoms are only included if the polar symptoms are insufficient for the identification of a specific remedy. 

Questionnaires for Chronic Disease 

Figure 3: Evaluation of Polarity Analysis in Chronic Disease Treatment results in different chronic disease of children two months after administration of an individual homeopathic remedy (200 C). Polarity analysis improves the results as compared to conventional homeopathic procedure.

Figure 3: Evaluation of Polarity Analysis in Chronic Disease
Treatment results in different chronic disease of children two months after administration of an individual homeopathic remedy (200 C). Polarity analysis improves the results as compared to conventional homeopathic procedure.


Multimorbid Patients

The case taking in multimorbid patients (patients with three or more medical problems) is identical to other chronic disease, with the exception that the patients receive a questionnaire for each of their problems and an additional one concerning their background. For the determination of the patient's homeopathic remedy, the symptoms are entered in the spreadsheet file Case Log, which provides a good overview of complex symptomatology. The patients must also rate the intensity of each medical problem on a scale from one to ten at the beginning of their treatment and at each follow-up. The case log automatically makes a graph of healing progress, facilitating decisions about possible changes of remedy.

Case Log (Excel)

Case Study 3: Rheumatoid arthritis, migraine and gastritis in a vicious circle of pharmaceutical side effects.